Sunday, October 22, 2006

Catching up

There I have been thinking that J was doing a blog on the Lancashire Trail when all he has done is the map!! I must admit it’s a pretty impressive map and makes us realise just how far we have walked. Last week we did from Mellor to Whalley and saw a dead cow lying on its back with its feet in the air and an impressive sheep skull complete with horns – if only you had been there Ben I am sure you would have brought it home! The highlight was a beautiful speckled little owl who was sitting on a post until it saw me. There have been some beautiful stretches of countryside; I really think autumn is my favourite season. I went with J to pick up his car after a service on Friday and ended up buying a new car! A Nissan Micra so just a small step up from the old Matiz! It is 12 months old with 9,000 on the clock and I managed to get £1,500 for mine so I thought that was pretty good. I am picking it up on Tuesday.
We walked from Whalley (pronounced Warley apparently) to Barley today via the top of Pendle!! I hope Ben remembers our last trip up to the top when he was at primary school! You carried a stone from the top and painted sheep on it! We walked up the long haul of the escarpment and walked down the steep steps (we walked up them last time) to the bottom where we found some lovely toasted cheese sandwiches! Not much wildlife about – just a heron, a flock of goldfinches, a jay and a suspected capercaillie (J recognised it’s call!!).
Home again to find a disappointed Mel who had been watching Liverpool losing 2-0 to Man United!
We have a busy week ahead with the theatre on Tuesday (Orestes, a Greek tragedy), and Thursday (The play what I wrote – a comedy about Morecombe and Wise) and then J and I are off to see Kathryn Williams (folky type singer) on Friday. Only time for Pilates on Monday this week then! Mel and I went to the cinema to see The History Boys last night – it’s by Alan Bennet and I had really been looking forward to it and wasn’t disappointed.
Not quite as exciting as scuba diving or partying on the beach in San Fran but it keeps us out of trouble!! Keep up the good blogging Ben and Madeline and hang your heads in shame Mandy and Dave!!
Love to you all. xxx

No comments: