Saturday, April 28, 2012

I'm back and we're on the Circular trail

Well Chris and I have continued to do our walks but, no excuse, I haven't been writing them up. 

Why have I started again? 

SPAM! That has probably got many of you wondering what on earth I'm on about or, thinking "I don't like" or "I love SPAM" It isn't the 'meat' rather an email. Let me explain I had an email saying this blog, that I've long ignored, was going to be closed down unless I registered it with my Google Account - it was something I was sure I'd done before and "Why were they using my work email when the blog way registered with my personal email?" Checking the short links actual address informed me that the real address (URL) wasn't a site I would chose to visit, lets just say, NSFW (not suitable for work)

I know I still haven't said why I've started again
I was surprised at how many people were still visiting the blog! The new Stats, available since Google took over, encouraged me to "start again" and I hope that you enjoy the walks we share with you.

WIRRAL CIRCULAR TRAIL

We have started the Wirral Circular Trail, taking full advantage of our Senior Rail-Bus-Ferry cards. In the words of the guide we acquired from http://www.visitwirral.com/wirralcirculartrail - "...a voyage of discovery taking in the coastline, the history, the heritage and the rural countryside ..."

35 mile signposted trail

We started at Hoylake Station and walked From King's Gap along the promenade to the new Lifeboat Station on the left. Here the Mersey class lifeboat 'Lady of Hilbre' and crarriage are towed by a caterpillar tracked Talus tractor specifically designed to launch carriage lifeboats.

For bird watchers among you, Meols Promenade is an excellent spot to observe waders at low tide; it was very low when we were walking and the vast beach with wind turbines in Liverpool Bay provided an engaging view. You can see some of our observations at http://www.inaturalist.org/journal/acljohn/posts/347.

Continuing along what becomes Meols Parade we eventually reached Bennet's Lane and Dove Point.

Be Warned!

Although the guide informs you that the current by-law prohibits cycling on part of the path, no body seems to have told the cyclists!

Leasowe Lighthouse - River Birket

Built in 1763  Leasowe Lighthouse is the oldest brick built lighthouse in Britain. The guide also claims it could possibly be the first building of its kind in the world to use cavity walls for insulation.
Having walked the River Birket in the past, we chose the alternative route along the coast; if you are following the guide, and have not walked the Birket, don't do what we did, follow the walk inland and return to the coast  before Derby Pool car park.
New Brighton Seafront
From the Lifeguard Station, where the coastal path becomes the cycle track, we continued along the seafront promenade keeping King's Parade on our right and the sea on our left all the way to New Brighton.

New Brighton Station Cafe

We almost didn't have a drink or food here as the first impressions were far from good! The Bacon Sandwich I had was excellent! We also found out, from a poster on the shabby walls that New Brighton had a tower; completed in 1900, 10 years after Blackpool Tower and was 49ft taller. Modelled on the Eiffel Tower it attracted over 500,000 visitors a year. War resulted in neglection and it was dismantled in 1921.

Lesson learned - check the wind direction and walk this with the wind on your back; the guide covers directions regardless of the direction you choose to walk.

Watch this space... we hope to continue, weather permitting, tomorrow!

No comments: