Sunday, April 01, 2007

Catch up brother...

I've just been informed that I'm getting as bad as Lynn, my sister, at keeping up to date with the blog so here goes...

Last week we decided to keep local, with our Sunday walk, so we parked at Maghull station and walked to Hall Road Station. (Those of you who look at the flickr site will know that already) Take a look at Gmaps Pedometer where I've mapped the route we took.

The walk was listed as 8.5 miles but, as you will see, it was 8.6174 miles!


The celandines were something to see, especially in the wood near Little Crosby.

Walking past the road to Hall Road Playing Fields brought back many memories as did Waterloo Rugby Club when we passed it on the train...

Today, First of April, we walked in Barbondale; In Cumbria since the demise of Westmorland. We started and ended at St Bartholomew's Church...

Built in 1893 on the site of much earlier churches. To say lambs were about, would be an understatement... Chris was pointing them out throughout the day and all I could think of was mint sauce, rack of lamb etc. Mmmmmmmmmm

We did a slight detour to view the Bull Pot of the Witches; 210 feet deep (more details if you click on the picture below...

Now for the "different"! Along Fellfoot Road, on either side of the track, there are a series of what appear to be small sheep folds...

...each containing a "single large boulder"; They apparently are the work of an internationally renowned sculptor, Andy Goldsworthy.

I'm not quite sure what they are meant to represent, if anything! More research required. The 8.5 miles this week were much harder than last week, as there was quite a climb. However the bright sunshine, lambs etc. made it all worth while. By the way Lisa, this was a walk out of the book you gave me at Christmas. I'm looking forward to the rest!

Blogged with Flock

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Ooh I'm glad you used the book and I've been meaning to try and find the Andy Goldsworthy things since I read about them in Alan Bennet's Untold Stories - so thanks John. It looks gorgeous!